How can we improve DGT GTD?

Update Design to follow to proper Google Android Design Guidelines (Ice Cream Sandwich)

During CES 2012, Google made progress to make user interfaces in applications standard by posting design standards:
http://developer.android.com/design/

By following these, it would be a great step towards a great app!
The User Interface (UI) principles makes sure that the right typography, colors, gestures, navigation, app structure, notification are done to ensure the best compatibility with current and future Android releases.

It seems the current (Jan 2012) DGT GTD design follows Apple's conventions.

235 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Daemon shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Admindgtale (Admin, DGT GTD) responded  · 

DGT GTD needs a UI refacroting and the new Android guidelines will be helpful.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Strongly disagree with this idea. One of the things I really like about gtd dgt is its attractive ui , and what I don't like about google apps in the cloud (e.g. calendar, gmail, tasks) is how ugly they are.

• Chris commented  · 

Just my 2 cents: the UI primarily needs a visual brush up. The layout and functionality are excellent the way they are!

• tracey p commented  · 

Google standards SUCK, too bland. However, I'd like ability to remove possible widget options by checkbox that I know I'll never use. DGT isn't bad with junking up too many widget options, but really I only need one, and is
        I'd like ability to keep list of widgets small; remove some DGT widgets I'll never use. SEE Calengoo. If this isn't standard UI option, it should be. Love ya, guy!

• Артём Шубин commented  · 

I would be happy to donate some icons for UI and suggest some UI refactoring and usability ideas. Would it be interesting for developers?

• Remy commented  · 

Having tried loads of others, I find DGT GTD to be exceptionally well laid out and very intuitive
        I think the notion of multiple pages per task (the second with less used power features like Start and Length) is a great move - better than simply having a global option to permanently show of hide (as in Ultimate To-Do: which I was also impressed with until I tried DGT)

So I'm with Tim - hope it doesn't change too much

Still amazed that this is still in Alpha!

• Keith Hickey commented  · 

I 2nd the Android design guidelines!

If Android is the platform giving rise to this great app, the app should pay homage to the Android look and feel. There's so much going on in the UI that I think applying an Holo theme would smooth things out.

It'd take some consideration on how to normalize all the colors into just-as-meaningful gradients and graphic icons of holo, but I think the app would give project a much more zen-like UX if done.

And you don't need a savvy graphic designer to get started. Google provides all the graphical "building blocks" in that link above.

• Tim Morrison commented  · 

Hope it doesnt change too much!
        I LOVE this UI

• blackdaemon commented  · 

I'd like just throw in my personal opinion, and please take it as that. Take a look at Any.do app. I think this is the way to go. I would like to see as simplest interface as possible, exposing as few features as possible for barely functional todo app, while still being able to switch on incrementally as many gtd related features as needed in the settings. This would satisfy both sides of the users spectrum and still retaining the flexibility. And last,I wish death to the colors-gradients-iphone-like-shine-reflections hell )) As I said, personal opinion. I love dgtgtd and wish it to be the best gtd app.

Feedback and Knowledge Base