• facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

+1 Totally agree with Matt.

dgtale, you have to admit that the development has stuck, and the app does not even follow Android platform evolution, I am not talking about new features.

If you cannot keep the pace and benefit from owning the app, why don't you let others help you by open-sourcing the app and managing the updates, or just publish the source codes and pass the app to the community?

• Matt commented  · 

Current state of the app is a perfect example of why open source could be the best path for everyone involved. Releases have virtually ground to a halt in the last year or so. It's been in permanent alpha. It's not a surprise. Having the app be completely free puts it in a precarious position. Developers have competing priorities which grow over time - family, (paying) work, and other interests. I think anyone who has some experience in software understands this and "no hard feelings". Free products almost always end up this way.

While open source may make it more complicated for developing the app itself, perhaps the future is that another team can take the app to the next level or develop extensions to the app. As it is, there is a 100k+ fanbase, whose passion for the app is slowly waning. I'd say the "waning" would be even faster were it not for the steep (time-based) switching costs that a power user typically has.

• Asier Llano commented  · 

I'm familiar, and for sure I think that it gives project more plurality.
        For sure, coordination, strategy and code review requires leadership.
        Not everyone should have granted access until enough good patches are provided that follow certain rules for the functionality to have a common understanding/future.
        Open Source is not necesarily anarchy. Not managed open source may meen it.

• Admindgtale (Admin, DGT GTD) commented  · 

Are you familiar with open source projects collaboration?
        The equation "more developers = faster delivery" is not always true.
        What about anarchy, strategy conflicts, coordination, code review, ...?

• Dmitry Gunko commented  · 

Excellent idea. I'm ready to join to dev team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base