How can we improve DGT GTD?

Default values for new tasks

I would be nice be able to define default values for selected fields, to be used when creating new tasks. For example default folder.

99 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    IrekIrek shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PhilipPhilip commented  · 

Hello, I have using this apps continuously almost 3 years, between these times, many of the time i tried various to do or gtd apps but believe me i have never found none of the effective to dgtgtd. Any way but still I feel that it needs some updates ex. when I am going to add a task and set a date, blindly I have to select a date and finally it is found that to many jobs in same days but rather if I could be able to see the tasks amount in calendar (small number beside the calendar date ) then easily I could be able to manage the chaos. Also I would like to use the beta version but I don't know how to have it, please help me regarding this issue. I am ready to purchase the beta version, please please release it soon, I am a desperate user of your apps, and I feel completly trackless without your software. My wife also using this apps too. really its a piece of jewel.
        Regards
        Philip Baidya
        880 01912802547
        philip.baidya@gmail.com

• dgtaleAdmindgtale (Admin, DGT GTD) commented  · 

@Jans I get the point and the beta version (which is under development but not yet available) implements a fully customizable way of inserting new tasks using the quick-add feature.

• Ullrich JansUllrich Jans commented  · 

The way it looks to me at the moment, running version 0.0.96, is that new tasks created via Quick Tasks get created in the current context (or the first one selected when selecting multiple contexts).

This clashes with the GTD idea, IMHO, since the whole point is to minimize interruptions and dump them into the inbox as quickly as possible and process them later.

This functionality should probably be configurable, since there seem to be other people who want new Quick Tasks to appear in the current context (I can see their point, too!).

Case in point: I'm at work, so I select context @work. I get a call from a friend/colleague if I can lend him something (e.g. USB power meter) which I happen to have bought a while ago. So I create a quick task to pack that device. It shows up in the @work context, forgotten when I get home and switch to the @home/@computer/@errands contexts. I show up at work, switch to the @work context, oops, I forgot to pack the device since it didn't show up in the Inbox (which keeps conveniently empty...). That is not the goal of GTD!

• Dave H.Dave H. commented  · 

Having a widget's filters auto-populate the fields of a new task added to the widget would be indeed very useful.
        To everyone complaining that quick add sends your task to the bottom: You're doing it wrong - you should be processing your inbox later, the point of quick add is just to get something out of your head so you can focus on what you are currently doing. If you already want to process the task, add it with the regular Add (the simple + symbol)

• Daniel HahlerDaniel Hahler commented  · 

Filters of a widget (e.g. context) should get used by default for tasks created from there.

@John R, tasks created by the Quick-add widget go into the "Inbox". You can then change all your new created tasks at once simply using the "Bulk update".

Task templates (or default values) will be implemented in the beta version.

• John RJohn R commented  · 

Yes please, this would be awesome it is the only feature I miss from using my iPhone apps. I would like Default folder, due date, and priority at a minimum. When ever I use the quick task my new tasks always are at the bottom of the list. I then have to open them one by one to set these which seems to defeat the purpose of using quick task to create at ask.

• d1dd1d commented  · 

user should set up the default value of priority and ... its color )

• PhilPhil commented  · 

The only thing I miss form the IOS Toodledo app is default values eg, folder, day, time, reminder value etc. Its painful to have to make all these selections each time i enter a new task.

• DmitryDmitry commented  · 

I guess, everyone would be agree with Irek. It's not so dificult thing to implement, but very, very usefull and safe the time

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree with Irek. I would also like to see default priority, context, etc. Ultimate To Do has a nice set of defaults, but only lets you enter one item, then makes you go through a page with all the details. I like your "fast add" much better for on my phone.

• HemantHemant commented  · 

I have 2 widget instance on my phone one say "Personal" as context and the other, say "Office". The widget allows me to quickly add new tasks. if the new task can have default values for context, list and tag inherited from the configured widget, it would be make adding new items in the respective widget very handy

• RafikRafik commented  · 

Hello dgtale, I have my main To Do list which has approx 35 items. When I quickly want to add a new item by using the quick add button (top right), it puts the item in low priority and I have to go looking for the item to make it high priority. If the item could go to High priority by default, then it would be on the top of the list and I could change it to log priority if needed. Alternatively if there could be an option for user select where to always add new items ..... to which priority level.

• rrkrrk commented  · 

Would also be good to have default priority level for new task, thanks.

I agree with P.Yarl but I can also understand this requirement. In fact having a kind of "task template" list together with the "task type" list could be helpful.

• P. YarlP. Yarl commented  · 

What's the difference between this idea and the following scenario?

1) Filter on a tag, context
        2) Go inside a list
        3) Create a new task

The new task is pre-populated with the selected filter: tag, context, folder

Feedback and Knowledge Base