How can we improve DGT GTD?

Automatic Next Action

A way of relating one task to another in a project forming a sequence of dependent tasks.
When I complete the "Next Action" in a project, the one related to it is marked as "Next Action" automatically.
I have been using somthing similar in Tiddlyspot.com and it's very useful.

511 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JavierJavier shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    dgtaleAdmindgtale (Admin, DGT GTD) responded  · 

Update: Code freeze needed in order to go out of alpha testing and get ramped up for beta. All new features will be replanned.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve McFarlandSteve McFarland commented  · 

I second what Heechee said below-- would be great to be able to create chains of dependent/sequential tasks within a project and have the option of having the later tasks in each chain be hidden until the prior one has been checked off.

• Jan ChládekJan Chládek commented  · 

+1, but with no limit to the same project

• JoelJoel commented  · 

@Cernael - regarding your 2nd statement, what you're describing is task dependency, not auto next action.
        Auto next action would work when you check off a project's next action. It would pick the next available action for a given project/branch and promote that to the project's next action.

See MLO (mylife organized) or if you can find, Life Balance for Palm OS, for examples.

• CernaelCernael commented  · 

A workaround to this is to lead each task title with a sequential number - it will not automatically assign the next action upon task completion, but the list can at least be sorted by task title, so the next action is conveniently at the top of the list where you can find it and change status.

So for instance: in my project "möblera om rummet" (no, you don't need to understand what the it means :-P ), I have the tasks [and statuses]:
        "1. Rensa skrivbordet" [Next Action]
        "2. Koppla ur datorn" [Active]
        "3. Flytta ut sängen" [Active]
        "4. Tvätta golvet (första halvan)" [Active]
        ...et cetera.

But the way I'd really like to see this feature implemented is this:
        A task can have one or more tasks linked to it, that it is dependent upon, and when all of these are [Completed], the task automatically switches status to [Next Action].

• GeertGeert commented  · 

In it's simpliest way, you can indicate that a folder has serial tasks (you have to order the tasks the right), so that auto next action can work.

• dgtaleAdmindgtale (Admin, DGT GTD) commented  · 

Hi Dave
        the beta version will be (hopefully) released in early 2014.
        I can't provide a more detailed ETA.
        dg

• Dave H.Dave H. commented  · 

Any update on whether this feature is being considered for the beta implementation? This would really be a huge time saver, since right now the overhead of managing the projects tasks individually makes it unappealing to create "small" projects. I guess something as simple as automatically setting the next task's status as "Next Action" (with the current ordering rules) would be awesome. Of course, it would ideally be configurable per project, but a global setting would work for me.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Yes, these comments are right on the money (wrt the feature I need the most -- subtask sequencing and automatic "activation" when the first one is complete).

• RemyRemy commented  · 

It would be great if these dependencies were also tied to Goals
        i.e. attach tasks to a goal, and they could be ordered depending on their importance (like Hotlist: priority; due date; Length; ...?) The most important task would be set as "Next Action", and the user could update the status to "Active", allowing DGT GTD to asign the "Next Action" status to the next task in the list. All other tasks would then be set to "Planning"

• HeecheeHeechee commented  · 

Just like the "Hide Until" toggle you could then add a "Subsequent tasks" switch. Then all tasks that have an unfinished predecessor are hidden.
        (in the spirit of GTD: only show stuff that you can work on :-)

• DaveDave commented  · 

Or be able to re-order items like a checklist

• BrandonBrandon commented  · 

Would be nice if it only showed the next item on the hotlist and in the widget. Projects with numerous tasks can fill the widget completely. Also, be able to drag and drop sort the items or rank them in the project. Then when it is checked, the next on the list automatically becomes next action and shows up in the widget.

• Joel AzariaJoel Azaria commented  · 

had similar functionality in LifeBalance on the Palm - was based on location/position in the tree hierarchy and a checkbox called "complete sub-tasks in order".
        Very useful as once you flesh out a projects sequence and next actions they show up as needed. When you see the parent project you either complete it or know to flesh out more NAs.

Feedback and Knowledge Base