How can we improve DGT GTD?

Multiple Context per Task?

On the Task Detail screen, I can assign multiple tags to a Task.

I would like to have the same freedom to assign multiple Context to a Task.

This will be useful for Projects or Checklists that are being worked on in multiple Contexts or locations.

Since Tags already have this feature, Context could get this feature easily.

648 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    P. YarlP. Yarl shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    dgtaleAdmindgtale (Admin, DGT GTD) responded  · 

It makes sense.
    I can’t plan it yet but it’s a candidate for a future, future, future release :-)

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I have been using lot of time "to dos" apps (since first Palm). I think it would be wonderful to have two fields with múltiple choice option, besides TAG. Other field would be CONTEXT but if it is not feasibly it would be FOLDER or GOAL or even STATUS. I had managed hundreds of tasks since 20 years ago. I need two multiple choice fields: one for assigning RESOURCES (people names) and another for assigning CUSTOMERS/ ENTERPRISE DEPARTMENTS (names) as with one single task I need to manage several assigned Resources AND several associated Customers. Note1: in my experience in order to handle lots of tasks, experienced users do not use all fields and/or they use some fields for other purpose than its name, as I mention above. STATUS field would be very useful for me to have two choices: one for "my" status and another for "assigned Resource" status.
        Note 2: Appigo To Do, which is a very nice app, had two multiple choice fields (TAGs and CONTEXT). But still I prefer GTD DGT!!!

• Aleksey KuznetsovAleksey Kuznetsov commented  · 

I think that it's bad idea too. We already have tags, why do we need the same feature twice?

• raven66raven66 commented  · 

Hi there. No offence, but this is a wrong idea. By the definition of Getting Things Done philosophy, only ONE contex should be attached to one task. The contex is essential thing to getting this one task be completed.

If you are using Projects, separate Tasks inside the Project could have different contexts.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

How about a way to filter the task from the project.
        I don't want to see unactionable projects among my actionable tasks.

It would be great if you can create a filter for project only and task only.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It's a good idea but only project should be multi context (a task must have only one; I have some doubt on checklists)

• ChristianChristian commented  · 

I also would suggest such a feature, because I would like to assign e.g. @home and @call contexts for one task. This would be really helpful for my GTD work flow. Thank you very much in advance

• kagy Junkkagy Junk commented  · 

If you want to implement features that aren't supported by toodledo or other services you could put an XML like tag in notes eg. <dtggtd><context2>"whatever"</context2><childof> etc

• paolopaolo commented  · 

i'll post my comment here, instead of creating a new request...

i would like a lot the possibility to have a hierarchical structure for context and tags and some form of 'inheritance' for both of them in the hierarchy of tasks.

• dgtaleAdmindgtale (Admin, DGT GTD) commented  · 

I agree with your conclusion: for the time being you can combine tags and context. However an improvement is feasable regardless of Toodledo decisions. Thanks for the link, I'll visit it from time to time in order to be updated about Toodledo strategy.

• dgtaleAdmindgtale (Admin, DGT GTD) commented  · 

It's feasable. The only problem is the synchronization with online services (Toodledo, etc.). They support only one context. I'll keep your proposal in mind during the implementation of the synch feature; some good idea may come up.

Feedback and Knowledge Base